Smartwatches and messaging solutions such as WhatsApp seem to be made for each other. Not surprisingly, the latest version of WhatsApp can be installed on Android-powered devices such as the Samsung Gear S. The Samsung Gear S is the Korean electronics giant’s answer to the ever popular Apple Watch.
The Gear S has some advantages over the Apple Watch. It is larger and has a bigger screen, and it also offers users a built-in cellular connection, which makes it an ideal platform for a product like WhatsApp. The Gear S is the first smartwatch that can take and send phone calls, receive and send text messages and connect directly to the Internet without connecting with a smartphone via Bluetooth. That makes it an ideal solution for a person who simply wants to use a smartwatch as a basic communication tool rather than an accessary to a phone.
Not everybody likes the Samsung Gear S. Its size and appearance have turned off some observers such as PCWorld’s Jared Newman. Newman’s principal complaint with the device appears to be its size and appearance; it clashes with his clothing. He also found it clumsy and hard to use.
Where to Find WhatsApp Messenger for the Samsung Gear S
Despite its critics, the Samsung Gear S looks like it will be popular because it is compatible with a lot of popular apps, including WhatsApp. You can install WhatsApp on the Gear S, although it will take a little time and effort.
Before you try to install WhatsApp on your Gear S or any other smartwatch, you will need to determine which operating system the device has. To run WhatsApp, a smartphone must be running on Android 4.3 or higher. That means you may need to upgrade your Android before you install the app.
WhatsApp Inc. recommends that you buy an unlimited data plan for your device. The reason for that is the huge amount of bandwidth WhatsApp can take up. If you do not have an unlimited data plan, you could quickly use up all of your minutes just sending messages or videos.
To operate on the Gear S, you will need to get the latest version of WhatsApp Messenger and you will need to download the latest version of the app—WhatsApp Messenger 2.12.173. You can download it directly from this website. You will have to pay 99¢ for this version, but it is well worth the price.
Some observers have stated that you can install the latest version of WhatsApp Messenger now available in Google Play on the Samsung Gear S. If you want, you can check Google Play to see if it is available.
Unfortunately, it can be difficult to locate WhatsApp Messenger 2.12.173 in Google Play; that means you might have to buy the official version marketed directly by WhatsApp. There is another version of WhatsApp Messenger available in Notifications, but you will need to get a package of apps that includes such Google products as Gmail to get WhatsApp Messenger through that solution.
Although, it is possible that a full version of WhatsApp Messenger for the Samsung Gear S will be made available through Google Play at some point in the future. Until then, you will have to go directly to WhatsApp, according to The Inquirer’s Carly Page.
Installing WhatsApp Messenger on Android Wear Smartwatches
The good news is that WhatsApp Messenger can send and receive messages, send audio notes, send pictures and send video messages through Android wearable devices such as the Samsung Gear S. The bad news is that it can only do this in areas where it can receive a 3G or Wi-Fi signal, Smartwatch Apps reported.
WhatsApp Inc. is now providing full support for Messenger on Android Wear if you have a watch with Android 4.3 or higher. Here are the steps you will need to take to install the app on your smartwatch:
– If your device is compatible, simply click install. Either Google Play or WhatsApp should automatically install WhatsApp Messenger on your watch.
– You may need to upgrade to an unlimited data plan because WhatsApp can use up all of your available minutes fairly quickly. Try to get a plan that covers as wide an area as possible because WhatsApp needs a strong signal to work properly.
– Once WhatsApp is installed you will need to get somebody to send you a message or send a message to your smartwatch from another device. WhatsApp will only start working if it receives a message from somebody else.
– You should be able to use WhatsApp on your smartwatch just like you would use it on your phone.
– The Notifications for Gear S app can send you a package of solutions that include WhatsApp, Gmail, Line, SportBros, Viber, Hangouts, BBM, WeChat, Telegram, Google Now and Facebook Messenger. Just install it like you would install WhatsApp.
WhatsApp Messenger for Samsung Gear S Features
WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging solutions available for smartphones because of its impressive features, which include:
1) Multimedia capabilities. It can send and receive videos, voice messages and photographs.
2) WhatsApp Calling allows you to call most phone numbers without using up your cellular plan’s minutes, even if you are calling another country.
3) Group chat is available.
4) WhatsApp Web enables you to receive your messages on any desk or laptop computer as well as your smartwatch.
5) There are no international charges for chatting with people in other countries.
6) You are always logged in, so you do not have to turn it on to get a message.
7) Offline messaging allows you to see your messages if you go on and off the grid. You can also check your messages if you turn off your smartphone for any reason.
8) You will make connections quickly because your address book will always be available and can be accessed quickly.
9) There is no additional fee because WhatsApp uses your existing phone’s connection. That means most messages and calls should be free if you make them through WhatsApp.
WhatsApp could just be the solution that makes smartwatches a part of our lives. When installed on a latest generation device like the Samsung Gear S, it makes receiving and sending messages as easy as checking the time.